Friday, August 2, 2013

"Burning Sky" by Lori Benton




I had the privilege of reading an ARC of this fabulous debut book by new author, Lori Benton. It was in a word - Breathtaking! Her writing style and attention to detail is what classifies this as true Historical Fiction.

Willa Obenchain, Burning Sky, was abducted by Indians when she was fourteen years old. She lived among the Mohawk Indians for 12 years before returning to her home in the white world. But all has changed - her parents are gone and people view her differently. She herself is not sure of who she is now - Willa or Burning Sky? The author takes us on her challenging journey of rediscovery for she is indeed a different person. One who has learned the enduring values of her Indian people but who is now trying to re-grasp what it is to live among her old friends near the village where she grew up. Many villagers see her differently now. She has faced heart breaking loss but she staunchly faces her new life with a brave soul and deep courage. Life has been hard for Willa and due to horrific personal loss in both her worlds, she has learned to shield her heart. The chapters unfold as she fights hard for her home and land that is being ripped from her grasp. Giving up is not an option to Willa. Hard work and never turning from what needs to be done is how she faces each challenge no matter the cost to her physical and emotional strength.

The characters unfolded before me. Willa (Burning Sky), Neil MacGregor (who can resist that Scottish accent and charm?) and Joseph "Tames-His-Horse", Willa's tribal brother who comes to help her. The author gave these characters flesh, bone and life-giving blood. As a reader, I felt part of each of them.

Some books I will read in a few sittings, but this book I sat down frequently in order to absorb the lush details before I picked it up again. It was not a fast read for me, as most books are. Instead it proved to be so rich, so absorbing and so heart-wrenchingly beautiful that I needed to move slowly through the pages!

In this blog it is my desire to not reveal too much of any story. Instead I hope to encourage you to read a book for yourself, if I have indeed managed to whet your appetite. So I will close by saying that this is a book I will cherish and re-visit from time to time just to appreciate the author's amazing gift to paint a vivid scene and to visit with Burning Sky, Neil MacGregor and Joseph, Tames-His-Horse again.

I am a new fan for Ms Benton and clamor for more of her stories!

7 comments:

  1. Dear Nettie, I am so honored that Burning Sky is your first Book Nook review. And thank you for this service you are embarking on for writers, and for sharing in this exciting season for me. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! Your book really inspired me to get going on this little dream I had to be a book reviewer and blogger. In some small way I hope I help get the word out about your fabulous book.

      Delete
  2. Janette, beautifully said.

    I was also privileged to read an ARC of Burning Sky and look forward to sit down once more to take in the richness of Lori's story.

    I highly recommend this book. Readers will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see awards in Ms Benton's future! They will be well deserved. Thanks, Bonnie for visiting my blog and I am so glad to meet you!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely blog--and an excellent and very much deserved review! I also read the ARC and had a hard time putting it down. I'm looking forward to Lori's next book, and to more reviews on this site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan! So glad to meet you! I can't wait to read Ms. Benton's next book, as well!

      Delete
  4. Great review, Nettie! I've read Burning Sky and can't agree more!

    ReplyDelete